Monday, September 8, 2008

Life in the Big Apple

We have lived here for a little over a month now it still hasn’t sunk in that we live in New York City and will be…. for 4 years! I guess it is because we have been too busy to notice. But so far, so good. This is what a normal day in the city looks like for me:

5:00 am- Alarm goes off
5:05 am- Second alarm goes off and I wake up
5:23 am- My devoted, supportive husband walks with me to the subway stop
5:25 am- We say good morning to our doorman and he replies every morning the same way “you two look way too happy for 5:30 in the morning!” and we give him a polite courtesy laugh.
5:33 am- I catch the express train to Brooklyn; if I miss this train I can kiss being on time goodbye
5:40 am- Open my current reading material and read, ready, and ready (currently reading: Nobody Don’t Love Nobody; story about an inner-city teacher.)
6:20 am- Switch to the “L” train where I am accompanied every morning by a crazy guy in all white who preaches to anyone that’ll listen. He is mad but occasionally has some insightful thoughts!!
6:25 am- Get off the train and walk as fast as my legs will move down one of the sketchiest neighborhoods in New York.
6:30 am- Teach my guts out.
5:00 pm- Look at my clock and can’t believe that the day is over and it is time to go home.
5:30 pm- Return home on the subway. It’s rush hour so massive amounts of people cram into each subway car. I am entertained by peoples’ conversations… usually about politics or…. Politics.
6:30 pm- Cook dinner… yeah you read correctly… I COOK!!!
7:30 pm- Robert comes home and we usually go work and a maybe a
-walk through central park
8:30 pm- sit in my favorite chair by the window overlooking the Hudson and debrief
9:00 pm- Shower and go to bed

The weeks go by extremely fast. Robert and I both love what we are doing. He is really busy with studying and is getting involved in free clinics, research, shadowing doctors and is actually playing a little Columbia rugby. We don’t see each other much during the week but savor the weekends and the time we do spend together. It is a good time in life for both of us and we are enjoying the adventures of chasing our dreams and being on our own. We have met some amazing people that will most likely by life long friends.

Here are some pictures of out weekend endeavors :

Robert cooking me dinner



Hanging out at Central Park




This was at Jones Beach on Long Island over Labor day. It is only an hour train ride from our house and it was a beautiful beach. The waves were huge and Robert was lovin' life! We were excited to find such a great beach and so close to where we live!

14 comments:

Matt and Courtney Orme said...

Holy Cow Linds! Your life sounds crazy busy and exhausting. An hour commute huh? good for you! I thought my 15 min was bad. How exciting to live in New York. I love that you are both so educated and reaching for the stars. You guys are amazing and so perfect together. I love you blog and having a peek at your exciting life. You might not think it's too exciting but believe me...it is. You guys seem to have great adventures together. Have fun this first year of Med School. and tell Rob hi!

Sharp family said...

What a day! I will include you in my prayers every morning for your 5 min walk through that sketchy Brooklyn neighborhood!! :) You Rock I still say I wish you were my teacher! I love you guys are having such a great time! Keep up the updates! I love them! Bec

Lindsay said...

Linds, it was so fun talking today, we need to do it more. It was fun to read the schedule of your day. I don't see 5:00am very often :)..good job! I laughed about people talking about politics on the subway, welcome to my life with Cory, hah! I think it is AWESOME that you two are living your dream and having such an experience. Oh and I loved seeing those pictures. That is so fun that you have a beach so close! I can't wait to come visit you!!

Tamara Jacobs said...

Linds! What a day! You guys are so perfect for each other and I'm so glad you are loving it there. I can't wait to talk...I miss you! p.s...you look amazing! love ya!

Penrod Family said...

Yikes and I thought waking up at 6:00-6:30 with Coh was bad! Ben and I just loved reading about your daily adventures and are excited for both of you. Keep up the posts! We will live vicariously through you. (BIG SMILE) and we are not kidding.

sportwood said...

Lindsay- I am so glad that you guys have such a fun crazy life. It is amazing how fast time flies. The beach looks awesome we will have to go sometime. Tell Robert hi and that we love him.

Nat said...

Lindsay-
I hope you don't mind that I am commenting- this is Nat, Tam's sister. I am incredibly jealous of your life style right now!! I check your blog often to see what new things you are doing. We are coming to NYC for Thanksgiving weekend. You will have to let me know what places are a must see! Take care.

Staci Davies said...

Wow. Sounds like life is full for you both. How fun, and crazy. We need to talk. Looking at your pics makes me miss ya! I can't believe you have a beach right by you. I'd go any chance I got. Talk to you soon. Love ya

Jamilyn and Clark said...

I don't know how you do it. I really don't think I could handle that schedule (I'm not a morning person), but if I was doing what I loved it might be different. Good luck with everything, it looks like you're having fun, in between your busy schedules.

Davis' said...

Please just come home. I know you guys are having fun and all. But Hailey, Taren, and I are just missing ya'll!!!

Nat said...

Are you serious about us staying at your place when we come?! We already have a hotel, but it's in NJ so it would save us a ton of time and stress of getting into the city. I might look into cancelling our hotel. I'll get your email from Tam and we can talk more!! Thanks!

Tara said...

hey girl it sounds like your living the New York life man one day I will tell you about how we took the wrong train, have you done that yet? I don't recommend it!

Matt said...

It's true...you guys are perfect together. Your life sounds amazing and totally busy. Live it up kids!

heidi said...

Wow, You guys sound like you are having amazing adventures. I might just be a little jealous! I love to see what you guys are up to. Remember, you can always sleep later.