I never in a million years thought that I would ever use my college name again….. Our school's mission is for our scholars (students) to not only pass and complete Elementary/High school but also that 100% of our scholars graduate from top colleges. This is a pretty presumptuous goal seeing that this neighborhood has a high school passing rate of 21%. In preparation of this the grades are referred to as the year they will graduate from college (3rd grade=2022) and the classroom's are named after the college the teacher graduated from. Therefore, this year my classroom is called Utah Valley University. I spend most of my days saying "Utah Valley take out your books" or "Utah Valley get in line". It is a crazy phenomenon. On a whim I emailed the president of UVU (Matthew Holland) to ask for donations for my class. I thought it was a long shot but no more than an hour later I a reply asking my students' shirt sizes and asking permission to do a news story on my class. UVU supplied my class with shirts, pencils, banners, and lot of really cool UVU stuff. Our first assembly my class marched down wearing all their UVU gear and chanting "Utah Valley University... You know!". I have been a proud UVU alumni ever since.

A HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to all the people who have donated to my class in honor of my marathon!!! I am so blessed to have so much support in my life. If you or anyone you know is still interested in donating visit my race page http://www.robinhood.org/give-tribute/gift-registry/registry.aspx?r=LindsayMStaples ..... Just look at how cute there are.. you can't help but to donate :)
How to Do Anything
1 day ago

5 comments:
This post made me cry. I understand the neighborhood these kids are from. What a cool way to help them feel able to succeed! Thanks for sharing.
Go Lindsay--that is great. I read the UVU article-wow. Shoot for the stars. wouldn't it be great if they really made it there for college--you are making such a difference. Love ya
That's awesome!!! Such a cool thing for you and everyone involved to do for those kids.
love it, way to make UVU proud
I LOVE IT! That is so awesome! SO SO AWESOME! Go wolverines!
Post a Comment